Make Room for the Things you Use & Love
Aug 13, 2022
What we'd love:
The ability to get our hands on the things we use regularly with ease and plenty of space
The unfortunate reality:
Often drawers and other spaces are crammed full of so much extra stuff that it makes the regularly used items cumbersome to get to
By using a system that moves the less-used items to out-of-the-way-yet-quickly-accessible storage places, we can move efficiently through our daily tasks and also be empowered to get to those less-used items within 2 minutes when needed.
It works like this:
- Gather storage boxes: cardboard boxes (file-box sized) or plastic containers
(deciding ahead of time where you will store them will help determine this)
- Organize an area, keeping only regularly-used items in the easiest to access places.
- Fill each box with leftover related items (the ones you use less frequently, such as once a month or once a year.)
- Place a number on the box.
(Using a Sharpie, or numbered stickers, etc.)
- Using "notes" on your phone, create an inventory list that includes the box numbers, content of each box, and its location
- Later, as you take something out of a box and put something new in, simply go to notes on your phone and edit the contents of the box
- Pat yourself on the back! By putting the things you use less often into storage, you have been able to declutter your “prime real estate” to comfortably hold your most frequently used items.
- And you can still access everything easily and within minutes!
Consider using storage boxes for these things:
- On-hand baby or birthday gifts
- Party goods
- Seasonal decorations
- Miscellaneous electronic items
This system was a lifesaver for me when it came to the passing down of children's clothes, boots, dress shoes and cleats.
This month in the Coach Mom Tribe we are cheering each other on as we apply this great storage strategy.
Try this system and see if you feel more joyful and empowered, having the ability to get your hands on the things you use regularly with ease and space!